Sunday, January 18, 2009

Christmas Gifts for my Team: Nursery Rhyme CD Covers

I had the idea to make mix CDs for my work crew, including a series for individualized CD covers. I based the series on a book of nursery rhymes by Nicola Bayley that I have had since I was maybe 5 or 6. One thing I learned pretty quickly was that painting on the dining room table is not the best way to keep your back and neck from hurting. Also I learned that lack of sleep, caffeine, and pure OCD behavior help you get things done pretty quickly, because of course I procrastinated.


The Owl & The Pussycat
Originally uploaded by veggiesteph

This one above is my favorite: my favorite rhyme and stars two of my favorite characters. I constantly sketch my little yellow Owl and my Siamese cat Bucky, who I lost this past year to FID.

I painted them all on thick drawing paper using acrylics. The nursery rhymes I used were:
  • Mary, Mary Quite Contrary
  • Little Bo Beep
  • I Met a Man Going to St. Ives
  • Humpty Dumpty
  • The Queen of Hearts
  • Hickory, Dickory Dock
  • 3 Blind Mice
  • 4 and 20 Blackbirds baked in a pie
  • Hey Diddle, Diddle
  • 5 Little Pigs
  • Little Miss Muffet
  • The Owl & The Pussycat
You can see the entire set of pictures on my Flickr page, in a set called Nursery Rhyme CD Covers.

The Setup
The Setup
The Owl & The Pussycat sketch
Full view of sketches 3
Page of Sketches

Hey Diddle, Diddle Cover

St. Ives Sketch and Start

St Ives Closeup
St. Ives Closeup

2 comments:

Erin said...

Steph, those are amazing! What a cool idea!

Media Kitten said...

Thank you - I had a really good time coming up with the ways to interpret the rhymes. I just wish I had started them a little earlier, but you know me. Procrastinator.